- Polish of your choice (I'm using China Glaze Mistletoe Kisses, Kinetic Candy and Aquadelic here)
- Top coat
- A cleanup tool, like a brush or pen, and remover
- A sponge
- A placemat or some other surface where you can dab your polish on
- Optional: tape or vaseline/cuticle oil
Any kind of sponge will do as you can see, makeup sponges, a kitchen sponge, or an eyeshadow applicator. Whatever you prefer. And if the sponge's too big, just cut off a smaller piece.
Make sure to sponge the sides of your nails as well.
I recently saw another way of creating a gradient, and I'm not sure who came up with it, but I've messed with it a bit lately and I think it's a great idea! So I wanted to share it as well :)
And if you're rushy like I was, and think you can apply it decent anyway, you'll end up with gradient fingers too, har har. So yeah, don't think you can sponge this without making a mess, tape off your fingers (or use vaseline or cuticle oil) when using this sponging method.
The gradient you'll create like this is more straight and on a smaller area than when you create one with the first method, and the result reminds me a lot of the mood polish effect. This way is a lot faster (if you fix your fingers, that is) and easy to get even on all nails.
China Glaze Kinetic Candy with China Glaze Electric Beat.
- If you want to stamp over your sponged nails, apply top coat first. The gradient can be a bit bumpy, top coat will even the surface of the nails and that'll help with your stamping.
- You can of course sponge in any direction, I think sponged tips is most common, but sideways, diagonal or starting at the base works too. Or a different direction on each nail!
- I used 2 colors for all the examples above, but you can of course use more colors as well.
- You can also use stripes of polish on a surface you can polish on (like my placemat), then use a toothpick to make a gradient between the stripes and dip your sponge in your gradient, then sponge your nails.
- Instead of using a sponge, you can also use plastic wrap (saran wrap, cling film) to sponge with. Apply the polish(es) on a placemat or something alike, dab a ball of wrap in it and sponge your nails with it.
If you have any other tips, I'd love to hear them so I can add them here as well! :)